Skip to main content

We Can Only Change Ourselves


A red chrysanthemum

The only person we can truly change is ourselves.

What a hard lesson this is to learn, right?

The only person we can truly change is ourselves.
What a hard lesson this is to learn, right?

And while I truly thought I have worked through my own need to meld someone else into my version of who they should be, I learned the other day that I may still need to work on this. I have a cat, Buncom (aka: Chunky Bunky Big Fat Monkey) that I love more than life itself. He is my sweet boy. He (and his brother, Biddle) have been with us from the time they were 10 weeks old. And while he is the sweetest cat and biggest baby, he is also a very naughty cat with a bit of a crazy streak. A classic Jekyll and Hyde. It took him two years to stop freaking out when our sweet dog, Xena, entered the room. He acted as though it was the first time he was seeing her… Needless to say, he is very special and very funny to have around.



But the fun stopped when we found a sweet cat, Elsie, wandering our neighborhood. After many attempts to find her home, we realized that she simply didn't have one. We took her in and thought that she would become a part of our family.

Buncom didn't agree with this. He absolutely hated her right from the start.


For many months, he has made her life a living hell. He stalks her, attacks her, and is obsessed with ruining her life. We have to separate them at night, and she has learned to stay awake during the day while he is sleeping and sleep while he is awake. However, there is some overlap when they are both awake, which is when she is attacked.


We have tried everything to discipline him: scruffing him, time outs, ignoring it in the hopes that he would mellow out over time, etc. Nothing works. If anything, he is getting worse.
I learned once and for all the other day that I simply can't change him. As much as I would love for him to love Elsie (or at least be okay with her – or at least hate her and stop attacking her), it simply is not going to happen.


He is not going to change.


I made the mistake of holding him to try to redirect his attention away from his obsession with stalking Elsie. She jumped up onto the chair, and he is so afraid of her that he freaked out to run away and ended up scratching me really badly.


That is it. I learned my lesson. He is not going to change.Thankfully, my mom has agreed to adopt sweet Elsie – she will have a home where she is no longer tormented on a daily basis – or ever for that matter.


And I know this is a bit of a silly example, but it applies to people as well.


I have known many people (myself included) who have stayed in relationships far longer than they should have simply because they truly thought they could change their partner.


It simply doesn't work. And it ends up causing you (and the one you are trying to change) pain and grief and resentment and heartache (and scratches in my example).


Imagine how you would feel if your loved one were trying to change a part of you. I can imagine that it would hurt deeply to feel that their love was conditional: "I'll love you and be with you if you do this, act like this, stop being this way, etc."


People do change – but not because we tell them do. They change because something internally clicks and they realize that they want to live differently – act differently. If they do decide to change simply to please you, the resentment and hurt that they feel because of this will eventually wreck havoc on your relationship.


Figure out why you want to change this person. Assume that they will be exactly how they are for the rest of their lives. Can you live with this? Can you reach some sort of compromise? Can you adjust your own thinking somehow to be able to come to terms with this part of them?
If not, it may be time to reevaluate the relationship. It may be time to leave. I am a firm believer that our relationships should not be struggles. And if this wanting to change your partner/friend/loved one is tearing your relationship apart, you can choose to either change the way you see the situation or remove yourself completely from it.


Work on changing yourself. Put your energy into something that is real and fruitful and positive.


I know your heart is in the right place. I know you want the best for your loved ones. But I also know that putting energy into trying to control something that is impossible for you to control will only cause you pain and heartache. Letting go of the impossible aim to change others will save you a lot of heartache (and scratches) in long run.




Resource ~ We Can Only Change Ourselves ~ Jodi Chapman

You May Also Like:

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Going...Never Say I Quit !!!

One day I decided to quit... I quit my job, my relationship , my spirituality... I wanted to quit my life . I went to the woods to have one last talk with God. ”God”, I said. “Can you give me one good reason not to quit?” His answer surprised me... ”Look around”, He said. “Do you see the fern and the bamboo?” “Yes”, I replied. When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo. In the second year, the Fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo. He said. ”In the third year, there was still nothing from the bamboo seed. But I would not quit. In the fourth year, again, there was nothing from the bamboo seed. “I would not quit.” He said. “Then in the fifth year a tiny sprout emerged

Listen to Your Inner Coach Voice

Image by Davide Restivo via Flickr                 If we listen to the constant babble that goes on inside our head we may notice that there are two voices babbling, sometimes back and forth.  One noisy voice is the “I” voice - “I want ... I will... I don’t want ...”  It’s the voice of desire, constantly wanting more and more things, or less and less effort.  The other voice is the “You” voice - “You really should get up out of bed. You are always late. You shouldn’t eat that.”  This voice wants us to be the best we can be.  It is our inner coach.  Both voices prattle away constantly talking to us.  We’ve learned a lot about the quiet voice – but these two loud voices (really thoughts) are not it.  The noisy voices are often involved in superficial or shallow thoughts, whereas the quiet voice is more like a deeper type of thinking. Now we’ve identified our noisy inner coach voice (the “ You ” voice), it’s time to teach it how to motivate us using positi

Life is Full of Choices

We can choose our attitude even though we cannot always choose our circumstances.  The choice is either to act like a victor or a victim.

10 Ways to Find Joy in Life

What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner. ~ Colette

Value Your Life

  Do not think of what you do not have; Instead, appreciate what you have and can still have. Do not think of things lost; Instead, value what you still have and may yet find. Do not cry over spilled milk; Instead, rejoice in what was left. Do not think of what you are not; Instead, be humble with what you are and can still become. Do not think of what others say you are; Instead, concern yourself with what you affirm to be. Do not think of the hours and days past; Instead, look eagerly to times that are yet to come. Do not think of what you failed to do; Instead, think of those that you were able to do and can still best do. Do not think of mistakes committed; Instead, count the things you did right. Do not think much of the pain you have caused; Instead, plan for ways to make amends. Do not think of the sufferings you now bear; Instead, look to the comfort when relief draws near. Do not consu

Change Focus, Look for the Positive

We need to become good finders. We need to focus on the positive in life. Let’s start looking for what is right in a person or situation instead of looking for what is wrong.  

How to Manage Negative People and Stay Happy

Your career and life will change for the better when you learn to surround yourself with positive people and keep the negative ones away.

Rising From Cocoon !

Transformation is not a kind place, it’s chaotic and a source of inner conflict because it is not a ‘safe’ place, but it is a place of growth; a place of rebirth where you can restart and realign with who you are. 

Trust Yourself

  "A human being is only interesting if he's in contact with himself. I learned you have to trust yourself, be what you are, and do what you ought to do the way you should do it. You have got to discover you, what you do, and trust it." Barbra Streisand    

Turn Your Problems into Opportunities

When faced with problems or setbacks in your life, what is your immediate reaction? If you’re like most people, your first impulse is to complain. “Why did this have to happen to me? What am I going to do now? My plans are ruined!”